Mortlake is the next town encounted when heading west along the Hamilton Highway. Mortlake is a very impressive heritage centre with a considerable number of bluestone buildings that in essence is a museum in itself. Mortlake is a really nice town. Any traveler will appreciate what is on offer and the avenue of trees will set the scene.
Mortlake is situated at the foot of Mount Shadwell, formed 25,000 years ago. It is believed that it last erupted about 5,000 years ago. The large ejected rocks are called volcanic bombs. They are often egg shaped because they cooled as they were being thrown through the air. These bombs can contain olivine, a green crystal also known as period, and the birthstone for August. Self-proclaimed as the Olivine capital of Australia, it is also known for its bluestone buildings, with several fine examples dating back to the 1850s visible from the Hamilton Highway.
The first white settlers to arrive in Mortlake were probably David Fisher and his party in 1839, which set up a station which was left under the charge of Thomas Anderson. Establishment of Mortlake as a settlement occurred in the 1850s and 1860s.