Murchison is a small town passed
through when traveling the rural backblocks of the rich farm lands in
Goulburn Region. This is a pretty spot and allows a few hours to
The first Europeans to visit what would become the
site where the drovers. Squatters started settling the area in 1840
with a school being established that year and a police station in
The town grew rapidly with a post office opening on
19 January 1855 (replacing an earlier office at Warranga), a flour
mill in 1858 and a Presbyterian Church and school in 1859. Small
selectors started settling the area after 1870. A bridge was built
over the Goulburn to replace the punt service in 1871,
The surrounding countryside contains orchards,
vineyards and dairy farms.
There are two hotels in Murchison.
One of which is at East Murchison.
The Catholic Church is a building that demonstrates
what can go wrong when rebuilding.
The other churches are old and classic.
The Murchison War Memorial is on the river banks.
There is a lot of history in the area so allow time
to visit the Museum and investigate.