Numurkah is in the mix of those wealth
creating towns in the dairy/fruit region in northern Victoria. Again
owing to Numurkah's narrow main street an air of vibrancy exists.
Numurkah though is a small town that
has a lot going for it. The provision of most essential services has
ensured a high degree of interdependence.
The area was occupied by squatters that moved into the area from NSW
in the late 1830s. After the pastoral runs were made available for
farm selection, the township of Numurkah was surveyed in 1875 the Post
Office opening 2 November 1878.
The name is thought to be derived from an Aboriginal word meaning war
shield, although a recent authority thinks that this is mistaken]
The town hosts an art show in March, a fishing competition in April,
and go cart championships in September and a car show in December.
Saint Mary Mackillop
opened a school in Numurkah in the late 1800ís that to this day is an
active educational institution. The Catholic Church is a century plus
The Numurkah War Memorial is located near the cbd.
The Numurkah Hotels are Victorian classic pubs.
Churches are modern. The Presbyterian a traditional 100 year plus
The Numurkah Museum is represented with Historical Society
Numurkah is a nice town and a stopover should be consideration.