PENSHURST

Penshurst is the next town encounted when heading west to Hamilton and Mount Gambier. The town was settled in the 1850s, the Post Office opening on September 1, 1857. Penshurst is the southern gateway town to the Grampians

Penshurst is located in an area littered with basalt stones up 2m long from the Mount Rouse volcano. These are known locally as the stony rises. The north east side of Mount Rouse is used as a quarry and crushed for road making scoria.

There were instances in the 1970ís where bushfires triggered peat fires beneath the stony rises which burnt for a number on months. A fire watch building is located at the top of Mount Rouse.

The Penshurst Volcanoes Discovery Centre is an interpretive centre and tourist information centre located in Martin Street in the old Shire of Mount Rouse offices. It contains an audio/visual display of volcanoes in general, and the eruptions and lava flows of the district in particular.

Penshurst is serviced by a fresh water spring located in the town and has many historic buildings.

The churches in Penshurst are all century plus buildings.

The Old Court House is the museum factor in the town.

The hotels in Penshurst are the classic Victorian Hotel.

The Penshurst War Memorial is in the centre of the cbd.

Penshurst is a nice small town and an extended look over is warranted.

Heritage diary

 

 

Fireplace Dump Station
General Store Bottled Gas
Internet Caravan
Camping   4WD
Kitchen Facilities Disabled access
Laundry Toilets
Campervans Accommodation
Meals   Airport
Pets Allowed   Boat Ramp
Telephone Picnic Area
Roadside Rest Area Electricity
Scenic Swimming
Tap water   Thermal Area
Stream Water   Walking tracks
Rotary Club Lions Club
Gymnasium   Gardens
Winery   Whitewater Rafting
Surfing   Skydiving
Skiing Scenic Flights
Postal Service Police
Movie Location   Mountain Biking
Kayaking   Jet Boating
Information Hospital
Hang Gliding Golf Course