Port Campbell is nearly at the end of the spectacular scenery of the Great Ocean Road. A nice quiet spot this.
The town was settled in the 1870s, with the first wharf being built in 1880. Port Campbell Post Office opened on 19 March 1874. It was renamed Port Campbell West in 1881 when a new Port Campbell office opened near the wharf. At the 2001 census Port Campbell had a population of 372. At the 2006 census, Port Campbell had a population of 599.
The town now serves tourists visiting the Twelve Apostles and the Port Campbell National Park, as well as maintaining a small crayfishing and fishing community. Tourism is increasingly the growth industry. The busses from Melbourne and the 12 Apostles tourist site will ensure a bright economic future for Port Campbell.
After a long drive from the east, or before venturing east Port Campbell is a recommended stopover location.