St Arnaud is pretty much the epicenter of Victoria and gives this location six major highways or roads pass through this delightful small town. St Arnaud is like many in this region a ‘gold rush’ town. From an economic perspective St Arnaud as with others leeks much business to Bendigo and Ballarat, each just an hour away. The narrow main street gives an air of busyness.
St Arnaud is named after French marshal Jacques Leroy de Saint Arnaud commander-in-chief of the army of the East and one of quite a number of towns, streets etc. named after people and places of the Crimean War. T
he town was settled in the mid 1850s, the post office opening on 1 February 1856.
A number of attractive gardens exist in town, including Pioneer Park, the Queen Mary Botanic Gardens, the Market Square garden’s adjacent to the council offices and Lord Nelson Park which offers sporting facilities as well as attractions such as the old Lord Nelson Mine and views from Wilson's Hill.
St Arnaud is a really nice spot and to get the most out of the town allow a couple of days.