Terang is the last town when heading west towards Warrnambool, or the first if heading east. Terang is an old town, and there is positive heritage management at work. But the reverse equally applies. The St Paul’s Presbyterian Church is an amazing and imposing landmark. The highlight of a visit is to gaze upon the steeple and ask how ‘did they do that’.
The avenue of trees was planted at the same ‘time’ as St Paul’s was being constructed.
The first dwelling in the township area was built in 1840 by Donald McNicol, and consisted of a slab hut on the east bank of Lake Terang. The township was developed in the late 1850s, the post office opening on March 1, 1859.
The magnificent avenues of trees were later planted and several of these are now under the protection of the National Trust. Other features of Terang include a Heritage Trail walk which points out the historic trees and many of the historic buildings and sights of the town.
Features to see are the historic post office with its clock tower (1903-4), the war memorial, the rose gardens with the band rotunda, and the town's first church (Thomson Memorial Presbyterian).
Terang is the sort of town an extended visit is warranted.