TONGALA

Tongala is the last reported town of the rich dairy/fruit region of Victoria. Tongala a small town, and, through Nestle restructures has not shared in the wealth that created growth in the region for this town. That said the modern mural activities determine a good look at the place is in order.

The first Post Office in the area opened on 27 April 1878. In 1882 it was renamed Kanyapella and a new Tongala office opened to the south; this was renamed Tongala East in 1908 when a new Tongala office replaced the Tongala Railway Station office in the township

St Patrick's Catholic Church was constructed in 1909, opening on Sunday 28 November 1909. St Patrick's Catholic primary school was opened in 1959. The United Church is modern.

 Dairy is the most significant industry in the town's economic structure that also includes food processing at a plant.

There is only the single hotel in Tongala.

The War Memorial is a striking gold soldier.

There was no evidence of a museum, but there is on the edge of town the Tribute to Milk presentation.

As stated a look at the mural initiative give cause to visit.

Heritage diary

 

 

Fireplace Dump Station
General Store Bottled Gas
Internet Caravan
Camping   4WD
Kitchen Facilities Disabled access
Laundry Toilets
Campervans   Accommodation
Meals   Airport
Pets Allowed   Boat Ramp
Telephone Picnic Area
Roadside Rest Area Electricity
Scenic Swimming
Tap water   Thermal Area
Stream Water   Walking tracks
Rotary Club Lions Club
Gymnasium   Gardens
Winery   Whitewater Rafting
Surfing   Skydiving
Skiing   Scenic Flights
Postal Service Police
Movie Location   Mountain Biking
Kayaking   Jet Boating
Information Hospital
Hang Gliding   Golf Course