Wahgunyah is a small Victorian town on
the Murray River that works with the Corowa economic base, on the
other side of the River. At no time ever would a Wahgunyan admit to
coming from Corowa or NSW.
The name is believed to be an Aboriginal phrase
meaning "Big Camp" or "Big Shelter".
The Wahgunyah cattle run were leased by John Foord
and John Crisp in 1841. The township was established by Foord in 1856
and became important before the arrival of the railway in 1879 as the
furthest upstream port on the Murray. The Post Office opened on 1 July
1858 and a school opened the same year.
main factory of Nestle’ breakfast cereal arm Uncle Toby’s is on the
outskirts of Wahgunyah.
The Hotel is Wahgunyah is a grand and classic pub.
The Catholic Church is represented by the Mass Tree.
The Anglican Church is on the main street and over a century old.
The Wahgunyah War Memorial overlooks the Murray River.
Wahgunyah is a small pass through town, but be sure to check out that