Wangaratta is a growth town and is a well administered ‘city’, plus being a prosperous community. The town has won numerous ‘tidy town’ awards and it shows. Wangaratta is a cathedral city of almost 17,000 people in the northeast of Victoria.
Wangaratta is on the Ovens River and is the administrative centre and most populous in the Rural City of Wangaratta local government area. Wangaratta is a heritage proud city, with many old building with trust protection.
Gold was found in the surrounding area during the 1850s and this is reflected in the name of a nearby town of Eldorado where the remains of an old dredge can still be seen today. The Post Office in the area opened on 1 February 1843 as Ovens, and moved to the township and was renamed Wangaratta in 1854.