Winchelsea is close enough to both Geelong and Ballarat to be a commute satellite. It isn’t. Winchelsea is an old town that has its roots in the gold rush era, and was a half way point for many a traveler.
The first Europeans to reside in the area were squatters who established grazing runs there c. 1837. Thomas Austin migrated from Tasmania and occupied the present day site of Winchelsea in 1837. The area was then called Austin's Ford. Austin built up his estate of Barwon Park to 29,000 acres (12,000 ha), including a mansion which still stands today. The town developed around the Barwon Inn, established in 1842 by Prosper Nicholas Trebeck and Charles Beal The Post Office opened as Barwon on 1 July 1848 and was renamed Winchelsea in 1854. The railway though the town was opened in 1876, as part of the line to the south west of the state.
Be sure to check out the Barwon Hotel. All types of beverages are on offer.