Traveling south from Margaret River is sure to take the Leeuwin National Park, and if interested check out the many caves that exist in this area. Before arriving at Augusta the traveler will pass through a forest of giant eucalypts. Truly beautiful.
The first Europeans to see the area were the Dutch in 1622 who named the nearby Cape "Landt van de Leeuwin" or Land of the Lioness. Flinders renamed it in 1801 as Cape Leeuwin.
Augusta was formed in 1830. In March of that year, a number of settlers, including John Molloy and members of the Bussell and Turner families, had arrived at the Swan River Colony on board the Warrior.
The town was named after the daughter of King George IV, Princess Augusta Sophia, by Governor Stirling.