Bridgetown's name was first proposed by surveyor Thomas Carey in 1868, for two reasons - "as it is at a bridge and the Bridgetown was the first ship to put in at Bunbury for the wool from these districts", and was approved and gazetted on 9 June 1868.
From then until about 1885, many buildings including the primary school (1870), post office and two hotels were constructed, many of which are still standing today.
The gold rush from 1892 onwards brought prosperity to the town and saw a considerable increase in settlement. In 1907, a number of significant buildings including the police station were erected.
Bridgetown has a lot to offer and an overnight is recommended.