CORRIGIN

Corrigin is a must stop over town. Corrigin is a really delightful small town. The town has won numerous ‘tidy town’ awards, and the ambition to succeed in this facet of town pride cleanly has rubbed off on the community. The dog cemetery 3k west of the town is a must photo for dog lovers.

The name "Corrigin", of Noongar indigenous origin, was first recorded in 1877 relating to a well in the area. The meaning of the name is unknown.

In 1909, the Government planned to build a railway from Brookton on the Great Southern Railway to the town of Kunjin, 17 km west of Corrigin. Sometime after, a line from Wickepin was also proposed, and the Government decided to locate the crossing point at Corrigin

In 1913, a railway siding was built, and named "Dondakin" by railway authorities due to conflict with the name elsewhere. However, after much local protest, the siding was renamed Corrigin and gazetted on 15 May 1914. The town is located in the central Wheatbelt  along State Route 40. It is mostly a farming community focused on crops and sheep, and holds the world record of 'the most dogs in a Ute.

The Corrigin Hotel is your classic corner pub.

The Anglican Church is a grand 100 year structure. The Catholic Church is a more modern offer.

The War Memorial is located atop of the RSL Hill.

The Corrigin Museum is on the main highway through town.

An extended visit in Corrigin would be an easy decision.

Diary notes

 

 

 

Fireplace Dump Station
General Store Bottled Gas
Internet Caravan
Camping   4WD
Kitchen Facilities Disabled access
Laundry Toilets
Campervans Accommodation
Meals   Airport
Pets Allowed   Boat Ramp
Telephone Picnic Area
Roadside Rest Area Electricity
Scenic Swimming
Tap water   Thermal Area
Stream Water   Walking tracks
Rotary Club   Lions Club
Gymnasium   Gardens
Winery   Whitewater Rafting
Surfing   Skydiving
Skiing   Scenic Flights
Postal Service Police
Movie Location   Mountain Biking
Kayaking   Jet Boating
Information Hospital
Hang Gliding Golf Course