Cue is also known as the Queen of the Murchison. Cue is administered through the Shire Council, which has its chambers in the historic Gentlemanís Club building. A former shire president was Herbert Hoover, the same person who became President of the USA.
Gold was discovered in 1892 though there is uncertainty as to who made the first find. Michael Fitzgerald and Edward Heffernan collected 260 ounces after being given a nugget by an Aboriginal known as 'Governor'. Tom Cue travelled to Nannine to register their claim. The townsite was gazetted in 1893 and named after Tom Cue.
The town of Day Dawn, 8 km south, was established within a year; by 1900 a hospital and cemetery were established between the two towns and they had three newspapers operating. The rivalry between the towns fuelled a diverse sporting culture in the area.
When passing through be sure to stop awhile and check out this colourful small town.