EUCLA

Eucla is the last/ or first Western Australian community after/ before the border. Eucla is not a town, but a greatly enhanced and managed provision of services. Police, limited medical and accommodation. Not a town but a centre that has a greater provision of services.

The name Eucla is believed to originate from an Aboriginal word "Yinculyer" which one source gives as referring to the rising of the planet Venus. It was first used by Europeans for the area at some point before 1867.

In 1841, Edward John Eyre became the first explorer to visit the area.  

The original town was abandoned, and a new townsite established about 5 km to the east and higher up on the escarpment. The ruins of the telegraph station still stand amongst the dunes, and are a local tourist attraction.

In 1971, worldwide media publicity came to the town after reports and photographs emerged of a half-naked blonde girl who had gone wild and lived and ran with the kangaroos, who came to be known as the "Nullarbor Nymph". The story subsequently turned out to be a hoax cooked up by the residents of the tiny settlement.

The Hotel is the Hotel/motel service.

The Eucla War Memorial is located near the caravan park end of the community.

The Eucla Museum is located in rooms within the hotel/motel complex.

If visited on a nice day Eucla would be a nice place. That said the border location somewhat predetermines a stopover.

Diary notes

 

Fireplace Dump Station
General Store Bottled Gas
Internet Caravan
Camping 4WD
Kitchen Facilities Disabled access
Laundry Toilets
Campervans   Accommodation
Meals   Airport
Pets Allowed   Boat Ramp
Telephone Picnic Area
Roadside Rest Area Electricity
Scenic   Swimming
Tap water   Thermal Area
Stream Water   Walking tracks
Rotary Club   Lions Club
Gymnasium   Gardens
Winery   Whitewater Rafting
Surfing   Skydiving
Skiing   Scenic Flights
Postal Service Police
Movie Location   Mountain Biking
Kayaking   Jet Boating
Information Hospital
Hang Gliding Golf Course