Merredin is one of the more major towns of the wheat belt centres encountered when traveling east towards Kalgoolie. Merredin is an active and growth and has become the go to town in the central western region. Merredin is an old town but much of the early history has given way to ‘progress’.
Merredin's history varies from that of other wheat-belt towns in Western Australia in the sense that it started as a stopping place on the way to the goldfields. The first European explorer into the area was the Surveyor General J. S. Roe, who traveled through the region in 1836 but was not impressed by its dryness and the low rainfall.
The town really came into existence as a result of the gold rush. In 1888 the area to the east of Merredin was officially proclaimed a goldfield and over the next decade prospectors and fossickers poured through the area. Gold was discovered at Coolgardie in 1892 and at Kalgoolie a year later. At first the prospectors used Hunt's waterholes road and this meant that they passed through the site of the modern town. In 1893 the railway reached the town. Merredin's importance as a town was directly related to the establishment of a superb water catchments scheme on Merredin Peak.