MULLEWA

Mullewa is a small town west of Geraldton. Mullewa services a very rich agricultural district. The proximity to Geraldton is having economic impact on the town, but that said the local community is very proud of their town. History and pride is on display everywhere.

European settlers moved to the area in 1869 to take up pastoral leases for farming. In 1894, the government built a narrow gauge railway from Geraldton to Mullewa and the town was gazetted in the same year.

The town is named for Mullewa Spring, based on an Aboriginal name recorded by surveyor John Forrest in 1873. The meaning of the name is not certain, but the most accepted meaning is "place of fog".

The Church of Our Lady of Mount Carmel in Mullewa was designed and built by John Hawes (Monsignor). This structure is amazing.

The Anglican Church is also an old traditional design.

The War Memorial is also an amazing acknowledgement. Original yes.

The Hotels are ‘old’ and traditional pub structures.

Though off the main travel route, a diversion to the small towns in the mid-west is recommended.

Diary notes

 

 

 

Fireplace Dump Station
General Store Bottled Gas
Internet Caravan
Camping 4WD
Kitchen Facilities Disabled access
Laundry Toilets
Campervans Accommodation
Meals   Airport
Pets Allowed   Boat Ramp
Telephone Picnic Area
Roadside Rest Area Electricity
Scenic   Swimming
Tap water   Thermal Area
Stream Water   Walking tracks
Rotary Club   Lions Club
Gymnasium   Gardens
Winery   Whitewater Rafting
Surfing   Skydiving
Skiing   Scenic Flights
Postal Service Police
Movie Location   Mountain Biking
Kayaking   Jet Boating
Information Hospital
Hang Gliding Golf Course