Narembeen is the first town encounted when heading south from Merredin to south of the state. Narembeen is also another of the many towns that service the Wheatbelt region. Narembeen is a young town that has experienced most growth since the 1950’s.
A settler named Charles Smith bought a property he called Narembeen. By the 1900s more farmers moved to the area as land was opened up and by 1918 the town-site of Emu Hill was gazetted.
Narembeen means place of female emus in the local Aboriginal language.
The area was initially surveyed in 1836 by the Surveyor General John Septimus Roe. After camping on a rocky outcrop and seeing a group of Emus he named the area Emu Hill. By the 1850s European settlers arrived in the area looking for pastoral land for wheat and grazing. In 1901 the rabbit proof fence was constructed just to the East of Narembeen and can still be seen today.