Carterton is just 10kms south of Masterton on state highway 2 and could be deemed an outer suburb of the Wairarapa capital city. Carterton is a small town but the community is not lacking in services.
Carterton was founded in 1857. Originally known as Three Mile Bush, and served as housing for workers building the road between Wellington and Masterton. It was later renamed after Charles Rooking Carter.
The town describes itself as New Zealand's daffodil capital, holding a Daffodil Festival each year on the second Sunday in September.
Cartertonís other key distinction is to be the first place in the world with a transsexual mayor Georgina Beyer. Georgina went on to become the MP for Wairarapa.
The Museum is located on the southern end of the township, is open seven days and is definitely worth a look.