The fact that we including Cust surprises, but this small hamlet met the criteria for a synopsis.
Cust is a town midway between Oxford and Rangiora and as it turns out was, many decades ago was a significant recharge point for loggers and other travelers between the two ‘major’ centres. The numbers of travelers determined this small town grew to meet the needs of the itinerants and other people on the move.
The town is named after Sir Edward Cust, who was a member of the Canterbury Association which organised European settlement of the area around 1850.
Cust is a town strip now that is 500 metres in length; there is a gift shop, where the shopkeeper is the town historian.
Perhaps a stop over is a consideration.