OWAKA

Owaka is a small town within The Catlins region and 35 kilometres from Balclutha. Owaka is a young town in so far building infrastructure is of the modern era, yet Owaka's history commenced in 1896, which suggests their may have been a relocation some years back.

The following is the direct synopsis from Wikipedia:-

‘The town's name comes from the Maori for "the place of canoes", a reference to the town's location close to the Owaka River, which joins the Catlins River three kilometres (2 miles) from the town, close to the coast. The town was originally called Catlins River, then Quaker field.

On 22 June 1896, Owaka became the terminus of the Catlins River Branch railway, and it retained this status until an extension of the branch line to Ratanui was opened on 1 August 1904. The railway ultimately terminated in Tahakopa, but as traffic declined on the line in its later years, the Tuesday freight train (one of four per week) ran only as far as Owaka after 1958. The branch closed on 27 February 1971, and little evidence of its existence remains in or around Owaka besides some of the line's old formation, as the last substantial relic, Owaka station's goods shed, was removed in 1986’

Owaka boasts a number of churches and a museum that is worth the visit.

The Owaka hotel has good presence.

The Owaka War Memorial is located within the cemetery on the outskirts of the township, that further suggests a relocation, on the Balclutha Road.

 

Fireplace Dump Station
General Store   Bottled Gas
Internet Caravan
Camping 4WD
Kitchen Facilities Disabled access
Laundry Toilets
Campervans Accommodation
Meals   Airport
Pets Allowed   Boat Ramp
Telephone Picnic Area
Roadside Rest Area Electricity
Scenic Swimming
Tap water   Thermal Area
Stream Water Walking tracks
Rotary Club Lions Club
Gymnasium   Gardens
Winery Whitewater Rafting
Surfing   Skydiving
Skiing   Scenic Flights
Postal Service Police
Movie Location   Mountain Biking
Kayaking Jet Boating
Information Hospital
Hang Gliding Golf Course