Pirongia is a small country town 20 kms west of Hamilton. In current times Pirongia is best known for the Alexandra Boxing Day Race Meeting, of which crowds from the entire region descend.
The Pirongia Hotel is also a landmark building.
Pirongia was originally named Alexandra but to avoid confusion with the town of that name in the South Island the name was changed to Pirongia.
Alexandra Racing Club, established in 1866, is reputed to be the second oldest racing club in New Zealand.
The village has experienced rapid population growth since the 1980s as city-dwellers seeking a rural lifestyle have migrated to Pirongia. This has changed the town's character from rural to suburban in a short period of time.
Pirongia also has a rural fire force located in the village to protect native bush in the area.
Pirongia is also home to the famous Pirongia Clydesdale horses regularly seen at public events throughout the countryside.