Riverton is also a town on the Great Scenic Route, and is a township that deserves a good look over. Riverton lays claim to be the oldest town in the south island, and old it is. The town is steeped in history and any observation of the old buildings, pubs or wharf area one can imagine the bustle and charm of the early and mid 1800ís.
Riverton is also a town that has all of the major services and is increasingly noted as a better place to live than the nearby Invercargill. Riverton is geographically placed to miss the worst of the prevailing southerly wind blasts.
Riverton was first visited by sealers about the end of the eighteenth century for replenishment of provisions and refreshment of crews. It became known as Jacobs or Knowsley River.
In 1836 John Jones from Sydney sent Captain John Howell with three ships to establish a whaling station there. The station proved successful and was later bought by Howell for himself.
In 1838. Howell, Stevens, and Daniel acquired large properties and were responsible for inducing many ex-whalers to settle in the area.
The name Riverton was adopted by the residents and their choice was ratified officially in March 1858.
Visitors should allow a minimum of day to enjoy Riverton.