A museum that opens on weekends and selected days gives an informative background on the early maritime history of the town.
The town is located at the southern end of the Waiuku River and is 40 kilometres southwest of Auckland, and is now for many residents a commute to their place of work.
Waiuku came into existence as a port in about 1843, on the then important trade route between Auckland and the agricultural area of the surrounding regions. Waiuku was marked out by the Government as a town in 1851.
The local Hotel and we quote from the website “The Kentish is New Zealand's longest continuously licenced hotel. It was built by one of the first European settlers in Waiuku, Edward Constable, as an inn in 1851. His presence can still be felt in the name of the pub (he was from Kent), and the street behind it - Constable Road. The Kentish, with its ornate verandahs, provides a historical centre point to the town and the nearby Tamakae Reserve.”